Marine First Aid
Sail Nelson & AbelHealth Ltd
bring you Marine First Aid
Do you feel confident to deal with a life threatening head injury, a heart attack, hypothermia or severe bleeding on board your yacht?
Sail Nelson, in association with Abel Health are running this Marine First Aid course to teach how to deal with these types of event on board.
This course is designed to train a person to be capable of providing immediate first aid assistance for any first aid condition – but with a maritime focus.
This course is essential for all responsible sailors and also covers NZQA unit standards 6400, 6401 & 6402; so is valid for your on-shore work as well.
The Unit Standards associated with this course are:
6400 Manage First Aid in an Emergency Situation – Version 6, Level 3, Credits 2
6401 Provide First Aid – Version 6, Level 2, Credits 1
6402 Provide Basic Life Support – Version 8, Level 1, Credits 1
- Calling for help in a Maritime environment – when to call Mayday and set off your EPIRB, PLB and flares.
- Working with the Rescue Helicopter.
- Where to get Defibs and Epipens in the Abel Tasman and Marlborough Sounds.
- Cold Shock, Cold Incapacitation, Hypothermia.
- Common injuries in a maritime environment.
- Scene Assessment & management
- Protecting yourself – use of barriers
- Patient Primary Assessment
- Standard treatment of all patients
- The Unconscious Patient
- CPR – adult / child / infant
- Choking – adult / child / infant – Conscious and Unconscious
- External and Internal bleeding
- Shock & Recovery Position
- Heart Conditions
- Heart Attack
- Burns & Scalds
- Fractures & dislocations
- Soft Tissue Injuries – sprains & strains
- Head, neck & spinal injuries
- Hyperthermia & Hypothermia